Sunday, November 10, 2013

Tuna What?????

My next work suggestion for our grateful log is to share a picture of something I am thankful for. So here it is:

You are thinking what????? You are grateful for that???? Well yes but it means more than you are thinking lol

First, Yes I am grateful for tuna! I am grateful I have the ability and the know how to make myself food. It has been a long time since I have had a tuna melt and it sounded delish in the moment.

But I am much more grateful than that. I am grateful for all the many Sundays my mom would slave all day in the kitchen to make Sunday dinner. Sunday dinner at my parent's house was a big deal. I remember moving here to Utah and this guy told me he went to his grandma's house for dinner and they had sandwiches and I was like what?????? sandwiches for Sunday dinner????? I was surprised because that is so not how it was at the Simons house. My mom always made a nice dinner. We raised our own meat and I am from Idaho so we had meat and taters a lot but it was all so delish! She also made chicken and broccoli casserole, this amazing spaghetti sauce that would simmer for hours and always turn out just right, we would have meatloaf or ham or turkey. You get the point but I could go on for hours. Basically my mom is one freaking amazing cook and if you have had her food you would totally agree with this! That woman can cook!!!

And there are many Sundays that I miss it! I miss gathering around the dinner table when we all still lived there and have dinner, laugh still our sides hurt (thanks to the older bro) and then usually end the night with a game of hand and foot. I am grateful that my mom used food and especially Sunday dinner to bring us closer together over the years. No matter how the week went Sunday brought us together again. Many times if my dad wasn't laughing he was just shaking his head trying not to laugh and my mom would end the night saying "Ahh good hell, why do I bother?????" lol and then that would send us laughing even harder.

I am grateful she has taught me to love and appreciate Sunday dinners and it is one tradition I will continue with a family of my own some day. We might need rest of my family there to bring in the traditions but just the same one day I will attempt to make as amazing of food as her! I am grateful that Sunday dinners has brought me to realize the true meaning of being a family and sticking by each other.

For now its tuna melt and it may not look the best but in the moment it has increased my gratitude!

2 comments:

  1. Her pot roast and potato salad. Yummy!! Every Sunday I think of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally!!! Not to mention her mash potatoes as well. Dang we all need to live closer again.

      Delete