Monday, January 21, 2013

Sweet Hour of Prayer

Sweet hour of Prayer! What does that mean exactly? Does it mean praying for an whole hour? Does it mean doing it publicly or quietly? Does it mean all answers will be answered immediately? I think it means having a conversation with your Father in Heaven then having Faith that he will answer what he will on his time frame.

The last couple of weeks I have focused more intently on prayers. Just not prayers but sincere prayers. I have a friend who teases (not in a bad way tho) how much I talk to God. Over the years he has become a true friend and I love to tell him everything. But recently I have wanted some changes in my life and I have spent hours and days pleading. Those specifics will come possibly in a future blog post but I have also needed his help recently to say the things he would have me say. To recognize the Spirit and act upon it when I felt it.

Two weeks ago I felt impressed to teach on the love of our Father in Heaven. I played the song, what Heaven Sees In You and asked the class if they see what heaven sees in them. I got quietness so  I admitted that I struggle at times to see what Heaven sees in me. I have a hard time seeing that God sees me as this amazing person with so much potential, but one way I have come to see better is thru prayer. I love prayer.

I have seen God's hand in my life to pull me thru some of the hardest moments of my life. I have felt his love at times in my life when all I could do was cry and cry and cry some more. I have felt his hand soften anger when it seemed only anger consumed my heart. I have felt him calm my fears when I didn't think I could accomplish tasks that seemed unattainable then accomplished them.

I have also learned that with prayer I have to come to accept his will and I also have to act on faith. After I taught that lesson I was struggling with two recent situations. Coming to accept a person for who they are even tho their actions bother me and continue to show love towards them and asking God for confirmation that a certain person would fulfill an assignment appropriately. On the latter I kept asking God if this is the person he wanted, if he thought this person was the best fit. I was feeling nothing. So even tho I had a great day teaching on prayer, I went to bed frustrated and woke up frustrated.

I tend to be a slow learner at times and while in the car heading to work I had another conversation with God and this time I remembered what I taught the day before and that there are different ways to speak with God. So I changed my prayer and said, "God I choose this person to fulfill this assignment. This is the person I think will do a great job." After I said that I asked what he thought of my decision and I was filled with so much peace. Some times with prayer it takes a leap of faith. Make a decision, leap of faith and go forward with it. With the other situation each time I interact with this certain person my heart is softening.

We need to believe that God will answer our prayers. We can't always ask with doubt always in our minds. Yesterday I had to teach on two different assignments. Again I prayed for guidance and felt impressed in one assignment to speak on the importance of Christ in our live and how we can gain a testimony of his influence. I prayed all morning that everyone involved in both events yesterday would feel the Spirit and be led by it. During the first assignment I had assigned scriptures and we read the first one and I asked if anyone could relate to that personally. One person spoke of a very personal story in their life recently. After they finished I had the strongest impression share your scripture and the video now. I thought but I hadn't finished the scriptures or explained why I chose those particular scriptures but I acted upon it. Read my scripture then showed the video how a young man came to know of the importance of Christ in his life then  after the video another person shared their testimony how they too came to know of the importance of the Savior in their life and how life events had led them to the spot where they are now. The Spirit was in that room yesterday and I can't deny it. It was so strong and powerful and yet so sweet at the same time. It was one of the most amazing experiences I have had in witnessing a prayer being answered by simply asking for the Spirit to be present.

An hour later I spoke on the importance of standing in holy places so one day we can ultimately stand in the holiest of places and that is the temple of God. I spoke of my mom and I driving to wrestling matches before sunrise on Saturdays to these little farm towns looking for the High School and it seemed if we found the church (LDS church) we could find the High School. So it became a little thing with the two of us and every Saturday I would tell my mom to look for the Church and we won't get lost. I told them last night if they would always look for the temple in their lives they won't get lost. I spoke of the importance of the temples and why certain temples have a special place in my heart. Everyone else who spoke last night was so in tuned with the Spirit and again the Spirit came and resided in that meeting. I can't deny that I felt its presence twice yesterday so very strong.

God hears our prayers. God wants to send answers. If we put forth faith and prepare in a manner pleasing unto him God will deliver, no matter how simple or complex the prayer is. God loves us individually and wants the best for his children here on earth. I love my conversations with him and I know he will guide me thru all things in my life. Some prayers have been answered immediately. Some prayers were answered later and some prayers have yet to be answered but God hears them all and is answering them as he sees fit.

If you had the impression to read this blog then I urge you to pray in all these things and develop that faith in God our Father in Heaven. Ask with all sincerity of heart whatever it is on your mind or in whatever you need help with. God is real and won't leave you comfortless. As you follow these things you as well will come to understand the true meaning of sweet hour of prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment